Summary of Responsibilities:
Core to our success and to that of the candidate will be the ability to innovate, think broadly, see/use information differently, and interface with sophisticated Captive reinsurers and Multinational clients.
This position requires strong reinsurance and underwriting knowledge, coordination across the companies members. In particular, strong negotiation skills are required when managing the relationship with the Multinational clients.
The position requires best-in-class International Employee Benefits (Life, Accident, Disability and Medical) underwriting and re-insurance expertise. The incumbent will need to be able to work on underwriting strategy, motivate global members’ underwriting staff in multiple international locations, provide best in class underwriting guidance, best practices and process improvements advice as well as thought leadership.
As an underwriter with a focus on this international market scope:
- Prepares responses to insurance Protection & Medical biddings, coordinate responses to technical questions related to global request for proposal for new or existing multinational customers, proposes a profitable technical solution that is tailored to the client needs and competitive next to the proposal of other competitors.
- Review and approve customer illustrations related to second-stage accounting for reinsured business; consider the addition, deletion or modification of participating policies in the global programs.
- Provides support for implementing management and production when the business is conclusive: copywriting of contractual records, assistance in the systems’ technical settings, copywriting of customers records.
- Lead work with Members local offices around the world for inclusion of policies into global employee benefits programs by analysing financial and plan design information to decide whether to accept, as reinsurer, certain risk.
- Reviewing and ensuring the underwriting template, captive template or any file required is accurately completed and submitted timely.
- Help to identify the underlying principles, reasons for deriving the underwriting result, to be shared with the sales/account management team/brokers/clients.
- Help perform analysis on existing policy/new prospects to support periodic quarterly claims reports, renewal reports and new business.
- Manage a portfolio of pooling and captive employee benefits programs.
- Assist with analysing trends and the performance of each global program, working with the Underwriting Managers and Director of Underwriting to help provide action plans and corrective measures for global programmes in deficit.
- Analyse and sets pooling parameters for each global programme based upon reinsurance support (e.g. free cover limit, reinsurance protection level, pooling method).
- Understands the expense and profitability drivers of each product category.
- Understands the insurance regulatory system; finds, interprets and applies local legal regulations and central compliance policy in underwriting and management of policies.
- Understands and interprets accurately the available information to assess the local Risk
- Exercising sound judgment and approving cases within the company and local market guidelines, up to his/her level of authority. Above the approving limit, to work with Corporate Office technical team for approval.
- Occasional Client or Member visit in conjunction with the Sales or Member Management Teams. This will also include conference calls with both internal and external stakeholders ie: captive risk manager, etc.
- Degree level education (or equivalent) in Engineering, Actuarial studies, Mathematics, Statistics or equivalent.
- 3+ years (or equivalent) of experience in Employee Benefits; Life, Accident, Disability and Medical underwriting.
- Knowledge of International Employee Benefits; Life, Accident, Disability and Medical.
- Good verbal, written and quantitative analysis communication skills.
- Ability to focus on customers, manage performance effectively, and inspire a shared vision whilst building relationships.
- Ability to work independently with a strong sense of accountability and prompt reply.
- Organisational skills – ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Excellent computer skills, especially on Excel, VBA and Access.