Robert Smith of the Cure famously wrote ‘I don’t care if Monday’s blue…’ in the beautifully uplifting ‘Friday I’m in Love’. This just happens to be one of my wife’s top two favourite songs (she can’t seperate this and Dancing in the Moonlight by Toploader). Seems very apt today with lots of talk of ‘Blue Monday’.
The power of social media can lift you up and, probably more so lately, drag you down. By making ‘Blue Monday’ a ‘thing’ are we dragging ourselves down further unnecessarily?
We are putting a positive slant on a negative concept and drawing up a ‘Not so Blue Monday play list…’. Some are uplifting, some ironic, so far we have :
- Friday I’m in Love – The Cure (for the I don’t care if Monday’s Blue opening lyric)
- Blue Monday – New Order (has to be included really and is a classic)
- Step On – Happy Mondays
- Manic Monday – Bangles
- Groundhog Day – The Rifles
- Tell me why I don’t like Mondays – Boomtown Rats
- Don’t worry, Be happy – Bobby McFerrin
Over to you for the rest….